Master of Arts, University of British Columbia, Vancouver, Canada Literacy Education
Diploma, University of British Columbia, Vancouver, Canada Language and Literacy Education
PDP, Simon Fraser University, Burnaby, Canada Professional Development Program, Teacher’s Education
Bachelor of Science, Dalhousie University, Halifax, Canada Psychology
Scholarly and Professional Activities
van Uchelen, C.P., Davidson, S.F., Quressette, S.V., Brasfield, C.R., & Demerais, L.H. (1997). What makes us strong: Urban Aboriginal perspectives on wellness and strength. Canadian Journal of Community Mental Health, 16(2), 37-50.
van Uchelen, C. & Davidson, S. Holistic, empowering, and culturally sensitive responses to First Nations generational trauma. Workshop presented at the Voices from each generation: Healing the effects of generational trauma conference, Vancouver, BC.
- Language & Literacy Education Department Award for Best MA Thesis
- Faculty of Education Graduate Student Research Grant
- Gladys C. Crawford First Nations Scholarship
- Faculty of Education Graduate Student Mentorship Grant
- Skeena Native Development Society Award
- Secondary School, taught English 10 First Peoples; Learning Strategies (Math & Literacy Support); Language Strategies (Literacy Support)10, 11; Social Studies 8 (regular and adapted/modified), Social Studies 9; English 8 Fundamentals, English 9 (regular and Fundamentals), English 10, Communications 11/12; Career and Personal Planning 11/12; Essentials of Math 10, 11
- Adult Learning Centre, taught various courses for the adult and full Dogwood graduation programs to adult and high school learners.
- College, taught Math and English for the Career and College Prep component of the Essential Skills for Work Program for adult learners.
- College, taught Math and English for Career and College Prep for adults wishing to upgrade.
- Grade Seven, taught Language Arts, Math, Science, Social Studies, PE, French, and Art.
- Assisted with research exploring questions of gender, identity, and literacy. Conducted library and computer research, compiling in word format.
- Assisted with research and teaching in the area of Aboriginal teacher education. Conducted library research, compiled lesson plans, assisted with classroom activities, provided individual assistance to students.
- Assisted with the Aboriginal Strengths Project. Interviewed participants in a research study and assisted with the analysis and reporting of findings.
- Assisted in gathering information to compile an Aboriginal Resources Directory. Conducted phone interviews.
- Assisted in gathering information to compile the Aboriginal Population Estimate.
Special Education Assistant
- Provided one-to-one support for students with special needs.
- Provided individual and small group instruction for students in Math, Science, and English
British Columbia College of Teachers, Certified Teacher
Yukon Department of Education, Certified Teacher
- Coordinator for the Young Authors' Conference
- Member of the School Growth Plan Committe
- Past member of Steering Committee for Literacy
- Past member of School Planning Council
- Past member of the Aboriginal Enhancement Agreement Committee
- Past member of the District Literacy/Numeracy Committee
- Past member of the District Positive Behaviour Intervention Committee
- Past member of the District French Committee
- Past member of the District Art Fair Committee